This Biggar Archaeology Group report on Survey of St Mary’s Churchyard is an update to previous inventories of the pre-1855 gravestone inscriptions in St Mary’s Churchyard, Biggar, produced by John Smith in 1916 and Sheila Scott in 1972. This version includes the addition of more recent memorials in the old section of the churchyard.
For the first time the gravestones have been accurately surveyed and mapped allowing local and family history enthusiasts to find the graves of those listed in the inventory.
Many gravestones have disappeared since previous publications but some hidden ones have also appeared. Unfortunately the effects of weathering and moss and lichen growth have made reading many of the older stones almost impossible but the work of Smith and Scott means that even they can be located today.
The assistance of Scottish Monumental Inscriptions is also acknowledged.
A short History of St Mary’s Church (Biggar Parish Church) can be found on Biggar Kirk website.