The Biggar Archaeology Group has undertaken the task of investigating the archaeology, from earliest times, of an area of approximately 1000 sq. km that lies mainly to the south and east of Biggar. Consisting largely of uplands in the south, the area is dissected by the valleys of the rivers Clyde and Tweed, the east-west valley – the so-called ‘Biggar Gap’ – extending from Broughton to a little east of Biggar, that connects them and the broad east-west valley through Biggar itself.
The terrain is thus readily divisible into areas of convenient size for projects that involve, in the first instance, landscape survey combined, as opportunity arises and resources permit, with arable field walking. Based on the evidence derived from these, a limited number of excavations have been carried out, preferentially of sites under threat from deep ploughing, forestry or neglect.